Georgina Burrows has pulled together some guidelines for those wishing to
organise a spider drive next season, and has also included a simplified risk
assessment form to be used in conjunction with the spider drives.
Please remember if
you wish to organise a drive, our Area Commissioner, Sarah McBride, must be
informed beforehand. Her number is 07717 467562.
If you wish to
contact Georgina, her telephone number is 02380-283433.
Advice for participants of BDS Spider Drives
• All drivers must be BDS members (which provides insurance cover).
• You should have your New Forest driving permit and forest key with you if your
route is on Forestry Commission land.
• You should be carrying a suitable spares and first aid kit on your vehicle.
• You should book in beforehand with the host/organiser.
• Please let them know if you decide not to come or if you have a problem on the
way and will not make it.
• You should check on the FC website (www.forestry.gov.uk/newforest-closures)
before setting out to see if there are any closures that might affect your
• If you have any problems on a Forest Track, such as trees/branches down or
blocked gates, do tell the organiser so they can inform the FC.
• Arrive at the venue in a calm way and unharness and tie up in accordance with
BDS rules and with consideration for others around you.
• Ditto when leaving, and if you are leaving before others, make sure they are
aware that you are moving off and are happy with it.
• Do ask for help if you need it as people are always happy to help and advise.
• On a spider drive you are responsible for your own safety and that of your
horse as well as others around you.
• Enjoy your drive!
Notes for Organisers of Spider Drives
• Ensure all whips are BDS members
• Inform them of any closures or problems in the forest.
• Send copy of instructions.
• Ensure that all participants are aware of the BDS safety rules
• Advise that they must carry a spares kit and a first aid kit.
• Ensure the entrance/exit or meeting place is safe and has adequate tying-up
• Have a named person to supervise arrival and departure and to oversee
unharnessing, tying up and putting to.
Click this button to print out a Risk
Management Checklist for Spider Drive Organisers